If you forget your Windows 7 password, you can easily recover the password with windows password recovery tool. Many friends asked me if there is a way to reset windows 7 password without using any third party software. My answer was yes. In this article I will show you how to do it.
The method is to use a Windows 7 system repair disk. You can create a system repair disk on any Windows 7 PC. Thus you need an accessible computer and a blank CD. You can follow the steps below to create a repair disk.
1. Insert the blank CD into the Windows 7-based PC.
2. Click Start button > All Programs > Maintenance, and then click “Create a System Repair Disc”.
3. Select your DVD drive, and then click “Create disc”.
Before you start to reset Windows 7 password, you need to boot the locked computer with the system repair disk, and then follow the steps below to reset the password.
1. When you see the System Recovery Options, click Next.
2. Select “Use recovery tools”, and then click Next.
3. Click “Command Prompt” to open a command window.
4. First you need to type in the following command to backup the original sticky keys file:
copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\
5. Then you need to copy the command prompt executable (cmd.exe) over top of the sticky keys executable:
copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
6. Reboot the computer, once you get to the logon screen, press the Shift key 5 times.
7. Type the following command, replacing the username and password with the combination you want:
net user adam mynewpassword
8. Now you have reset your password, you can log on with the new password.
Finally, you need to put the original sticky key file back in its place. Then boot the computer from the system repair disk again, and in the command window, type:
copy c:\sethc.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
That is all. Hope this method can help you reset Windows 7 password.